Request email notification when page changes Email Me When This Page is Updated

Anacortes Police - Concealed Pistol License (CPL)


When do I need to have a Concealed Pistol License?
RCW 9.41.050 requires you to have a concealed pistol license when:
- You are carrying a pistol concealed on your person or,
- You are carrying or placing a loaded pistol in a vehicle.

Where do I apply for a Concealed Pistol License?
If you live within the city limits of Anacortes, you can apply in person at the Anacortes Police Department. If you live in the unincorporated area of the county, you must apply in person at the Sheriff's Office. Non-Washington residents may apply at any local law enforcement agency in Washington State.

Our address is: Anacortes Police Department
                         1218 24th Street
                         Anacortes, WA 98221

What are the application hours?
Application hours for renewals and replacements are weekdays from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, excluding holidays. The application process takes about 30 minutes. Fingerprinting is on Wednesdays from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM for original license applications.

Is there a background check?
Yes. You will need to be fingerprinted and a criminal history background check will be conducted before your license is issued. Fingerprinting is only done Wednesdays from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM.

Are there other requirements?
Yes. The following requirements must be met:
- Resident of the City of Anacortes or a Non-Washington resident
- 21 years of age or older at time of application
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident alien with a permanent resident card (green card)
- No pending trial, appeal, or sentencing on a prohibitive charge
- No outstanding warrants for any charge, from any court
- No court order or injunction against possessing a firearm
- No mental health prohibitors
- No felony convictions
- No convictions for any of the following crimes when committed by one family member against another on or after July 1, 1993;
            - Assault in the fourth degree
            - Coercion
            - Stalking
            - Reckless Endangerment
            - Criminal Trespass in the first degree
            - Violation of the provisions of a protection order or
              no-contact order restraining the person or excluding
              the person from the residence 

How long does it take before I receive my license?
If you are applying for your first concealed pistol license, it may take up to 30 days to complete the background check before the license is issued. If you do not have a Washington driver's license or identification card, it can take up to 60 days.

What documents will I need to bring with me?
You will need to bring:
- Picture identification (i.e. Washington driver's license or identification card)
- A fee of $48.00 cash or check made payable to the City of Anacortes. This fee is non-refundable.

How long is my Concealed Pistol License valid?
Your  concealed pistol license is valid for five years from the date your license is issued. You will not receive a renewal notice and it is your responsibility to ensure your license has not expired.

How do I renew by Concealed Pistol License?
If you live within the City of Anacortes, you may renew your concealed pistol license in person at the Anacortes Police Department, during the hours of 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM weekdays, excluding holidays. You may renew your license up to 90 days prior to the expiration date for a fee of $32.00, or up to 90 days after the expiration date for a late renewal fee of $42.00. You must provide picture identification and your current concealed pistol license. After 90 days, you will be required to apply for an original license with a fee of $48.00.

What if I lose my Concealed Pistol License?
If you live in the City of Anacortes, and your license has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, you may obtain a replacement license. You will need to apply in person at the Anacortes Police Department, during the hours of 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM weekdays, excluding holidays. The fee for a replacement license is $10.00.

Does Washington have reciprocity for Concealed Pistol Licenses with any other states?
Washington has reciprocity or accepts concealed pistol licenses issued by a number of other states, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law. The Washington State Attorney General's web site provides a list of those states that have reciprocity with Washington for concealed pistol licenses.

For more information about firearms law:
If you would like to obtain more information pertaining to state firearms law, call the Department of Licensing in Olympia at (360) 664-6616. You may also write to:

Department of Licensing
Firearms Unit
PO Box 9469
Olympia, WA 98504-9649

For questions regarding federal law pertaining to firearms, or if you would like to obtain a copy of Federal Firearms Regulations, please write or call:

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF)
915 2nd Ave, Room 790
Seattle, WA 98174
(206) 389-6800

For more information, please click visit the ATF's web site by clicking here.