The Arts Commission is an advisory board to the City Council pertaining to public arts and culture. The Anacortes Arts Commission supports excellence, vitality, diversity, and accessibility of the arts as essential to the quality of life for all Fidalgo and Guemes Island residents by fostering a community cultural vision through the acquisition, placement and maintenance of public art and by promoting participation, innovation and partnership in all the performing, visual and literary arts.
Members of the public are welcome to attend meetings!
Anacortes Arts Commission
P.O. Box 547, Anacortes, WA 98221
CALL TO ARTISTS
The Anacortes Arts Commission is extending a Call to Artists for exhibition at the 98221 Gallery located at the Anacortes City Hall main hallway and the Council Chambers.
The theme of the show is: Interpretation
The exhibit will run June - November, 2022
Accepted work will be installed May 31, 2022 and be delivered no later than May 26, 2022 at noon or it will not be included in the exhibition. No exceptions.
2D and 3D work will be accepted. (size limitations for 3D work. It must be easily portable and measure no larger than 36” on any side. Mediums may include, but not limited to: painting, sculpture, fiber art, jewelry, glass art, metal works, ceramics.
The show will be juried,
Depending on Covid restrictions at the time, the exhibition may be open for the June Art Walk on June 3, 2022. At other times, the show will be viewable during regular City Hall hours.
Below are guidelines for artists who wish to submit work:
• The exhibition is open to residents in the 98221 zip code
• Artists may submit up to 3 images of work to be considered. Images can be emailed firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off on a disc at Parks & Recreation. Images should be 72 dpi, 1000 pixels on the longest side.
• Artists should include titles, media, price, framed dimensions of each piece and a brief artist statement, along with address, phone and email information (required).
• Artwork must be for sale - a 30% commission on sales will support public art projects
• Artwork must come ready to hang. Wired only, no sawtooth or other hangers accepted.
• The Arts Commission will oversee the selection and installation of the show
• Artwork will be insured during the time it is hung at City Hall.
• Deadline for submitting work is May 10, 2022. Jury will make determination by May 18, 2022. Artists will be emailed results. All work must remain in the show for the duration of the show. If a piece sells, artist may replace with similarly sized work that has been approved by the Commission.
Questions can be addressed to Anacortes Parks & Recreation, 360-293-1918, coa.parks@CityofAnacortes.org.
Please visit the City of Anacortes – Arts Commission website @ https://www.anacorteswa.gov/1109/Anacortes-Arts-Commission
Authorizing Resolution and Overview
The Anacortes Arts Commission is created by Ordinance 2716 found here.
There are no less than seven and no more than nine Commissioners appointed for a term of three years. The Commission may include one non-voting member who is a student of the Anacortes School District at the time of appointment and throughout their term. The student will be appointed for a term of one year.
*No less than seven and no more than nine appointed Commissioners. A majority of members will be Anacortes residents.
|Member Name||Term Expires||Seat Requirement|
|Zachary Wight||December 2021||General Public*|
|Lisa Rhoades||December 2022||General Public*|
|Terry MacDonald||December 2023||General Public*|
|Todd Young||December 2024||General Public*|
|Betsy Humphrey||December 2023||General Public*|
|Betty Connor||December 2025||General Public*|
|Diane Marr||December 2025||General Public*|
|Laura Hamilton||December 2021||General Public*|
|Clarity Miller||December 2025||General Public*|
Reach out to your City of Anacortes Arts Commissioners:
- Email Betsy Humphrey
- Email Zachary Wight
- Email Lisa Rhoades
- Email Terry MacDonald
- Email Laura Hamilton
- Email Todd Young
- Email Betty Connor
- Email Diane Marr
- Email Clarity Miller
Meetings are held on the Second Wednesday of every month at 4PM at the Anacortes City Hall (Address: 904 Sixth Street, Anacortes, WA 98221).
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval. Sign up here to be notified when agendas are posted.