Can I build a "mother-in-law" suite?

Yes, but you won’t find that verbiage written anywhere else.  We refer to it as an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU).  The ADU code covers additional living spaces within the residence as an add-on or remodel, or as a detached living space.  The maximum square footage for an ADU is 900sf.  A permit is required for an ADU and the owner of the property is required to live in either the main home or the ADU.

Show All Answers

1. What is the permitting process for new buildings, additions, and remodels?
2. Having a garage sale or yard sale?
3. How long are building permits good for?
4. Do I Need a Permit?
5. What are the allowable hours of operation for contractors building residential multi-family units?
6. What happens if I build without a permit?
7. Can I build a "tiny home"?
8. Can I build a "mother-in-law" suite?
9. How do I know if I can build what I want?
10. How much will a permit cost?